Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Go Speed Racer, Go!


Haha, that's right, I'm as surprised as you to see a Speed Racer review on here, but well, here it is. It was on cable, and I was too lazy to drag myself downstairs to actually paint something, so I tuned in and was quite surprised.

It was written and directed by the Wachowski brothers, which right there says a lot. True, the Matrix sequels were near-laughable, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anything wrong with the first one. Throw in the screenplay writing credits for V for Vendetta in the mix, and you've got an impressive resume.

Speed Racer isn't as heavy as those, or anywhere near as serious, but it's still a quality movie that pays homage to the cartoon at every hairpin corner. The special effects are plentiful and a feast for the senses, although I could see some of the race scenes inducing epilepsy. The colors are vivid and surreal and the entire movie is nothing but style. I'll repeat that last part; this is one of the most stylized movies I've seen in a long time.

It has a surprisingly star-studded cast, who don't disappoint, and yes, even Chim Chim is in there, and yes, even he doesn't disappoint, haha. It's a fun movie that's well done and comes fully equipped with twelve cylinders of style, solid story, and amazing visuals. You know what you're getting into from the get-go, it's a live-action movie of Speed Racer for crying out loud...just sit back and enjoy the show.


The Mach 5


The Mach 6

No comments:

Post a Comment