Thursday, March 26, 2009

Let the Wild Rumpus Start!


Well, if I waited twenty three years for the Watchmen, then that makes it, oh, about thirty two years that I've been waiting on this one! I had heard about the book to screen project some time back, and although it is one of my all-time favorite books, I had doubts on how it would be a motion picture. Maurice Sendak is the author, and this is his best known piece, but it is a short story at best. It is an imaginative tale of Max, who after being sent to bed without his dinner for being naughty, is whisked away on a flight of imaginative fancy. His adventure takes him to the island of where the wild things are, and he becomes the king of their terrible kind. He longs for home and eventually leaves, much to the chagrin of the island monsters, only to awake in bed to a plate of dinner. Like I said, it is a simple tale and a very short story, but through powerful verse and amazing illustration, it is a story that never leaves you...easily one of my favorites. Did it need a movie? Probably not, but judging from the trailer it looks to be as imaginative as the original, just prepare for a lot of filling in of the gaps from the original. It should be a fun ride. Props to Andy for the heads up on the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment