Friday, November 23, 2012

Friday Rucht Hour: Happy Thanksgaming!

Hey all! Sleeping that tryptophan off yet?

Let's talk terrain. I wanted to get your guy's perspective and see what you all use for terrain on your own tables. Nick has done a tremendous job with his home terrain, using a great deal of Hirst Bricks (seen below). One of the best pieces of terrain that he has, though, is his self-made rubber mat. Crumbled bits were applied to the mat and then an air brush was used to give it splotchy coloring. The result is that your turf on your table looks fantastic.





Speaking for myself, I'm much more low-tech. Simple green felt to suggest grass is what I use. However, I definitely have bought plenty of train terrain over the years to enhance my table. Below, you can see some of my train kit trees. 


There's also the good old Dwarven Forge tiles. While mainly meant for dungeon crawling, the Forge tiles also double great as terrain. Here, not only do they make some terrain, but they demarcate a control zone for the scenario's objective. 


Finally, one thing we use from time to time are paper cutouts. A number of companies make these. You can see some of mine to the right of the picture. Bonus points if you know where that building came from. Hint - it's seriously old school. 


So, I want to hear from you guys. What do you use for terrain? Paper? Plastic? Only hand-crafted? Just construction paper cut-outs? What do you use for turf? Are there any rules (unspoken or otherwise) at your table for terrain? For example, you may dislike anything you didn't craft. Or anything made from paper. Etc. What do you do at your table? Let us know! 

5 comments:

  1. When playing Hordes of the Things or Song of Blades and Heroes, I use heavy construction paper to represent water and the boundaries of woods or ruins. For the actual trees, I painted and flocked Christmas decorations from dollar stores. For ruins, I use some Heroscape scenery or converted pillars from cake decorations.

    In my space games, I made asteroids from lava rocks used for landscaping and planets from styrofoam hemispheres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use whatever resources i have available to me at the time of inspiration. If it looks good and fits the general theme of the table then its all good no matter the original source/intent.

    If i have any unwritten rules its only in aesthetics, like unpainted terrain is a big turn off, as to is scenery that doesn't match the base of the miniatures being fielded. (Not that you have much choice unless its at home and your own collection.)

    For a long time i used a green sheet over stacks of clothing its great for smaller scales and group bases. Now it tends to be all modular 1ft tiles to fit the shelving unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to use pretty much whatever we had (we being my friend Anders) lying around for terrain. Some old containers and fortifications from AT-43 mixed with some papercraf stuff and some tank traps from Dust Warfare/Tactics.

    However now that we've started playing Dust quite extensively we've started thinking about creating and/or buying more terrain themed around the French countryside. We got some prepainted MDF buildings from Warlord games that look really great as is (although some pimpage would really make them shine), built some easy hedges and trees and slowly but surely Normandie is coming together.

    Next up is more buildings, more trees and some roads.

    I often consider what I want to do for Infinity. Leaning towards Warmill.co.uk but don't know where I'd store it all. Then there's my Mars stuff to get sorted. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol Rucht. That rubber mat is not self-made. It's the verdant fields Zuzzy Mat.
    http://www.zuzzy.com/vf-ml-001_terra_flex_gaming_mat.html

    I airbrushed it with two shades of green since it comes in single color rubber. I'd like to drybrush some more texture onto it, but who has time for that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing a report on this subject. Your article is full of really useful information. I will make sure to come back to check out your posts for my next report. The IP address of a device is 192.168.l.254 which is regarded as a private IP address. Whenever people buy a new router or modem, it comes with a default username and password. These particular login credentials help the users to protect their internet from irrelevant connections. Unfortunately, if you forget the router password then, it becomes quite challenging to find it out.

    ReplyDelete