Friday, August 21, 2015

I Am Games Workshop

A big 'hello' to all of my readers of the blog, we've been doing this a long time and today I've got a big announcement; I have quit my career as a school teacher and am going to run a one-man Games Workshop store here in town. 

It's not something I've taken lightly, but after much discussion with the family and over a year of courtship with Games Workshop themselves, it's a done deal. Next to Rochester New York my store will be the second one in the states under the new banner of Warhammer. 

Here is the store, from a square footage perspective it's a little larger than average, but it's less square and more rectangular. 

Starting Monday I will be putting the finishing touches on everything, and then next weekend will be the grand opening! 

Obviously my painting is going to be getting back on track, and that will be reflected here. Another obvious given is that the bulk of the new stuff shown here will naturally be GW minis. 

The corporate office and distribution hub for North America is in Memphis, TN which is just seven hours away. Here's the first wave of product for the store, sitting beautifully in the red zone and will be delivered in just a couple of days!

I am very excited to start this as I've got a head for business and a lifetime of gaming under my belt. Success of the store will hinge solely on my shoulders which makes me naturally nervous to an extent, but it's a positive energy. 

As always, and until next time, enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks man! I've made a deal with the Empire!

      Delete
  2. Yay! Couldn't have happened to a better guy. If we were on the same coast I would immediately stop by and be one of your first customers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, I am very excited for what the future holds. Vacation in the Appalachian Mountains sometime for an excuse to come by!

      Delete
  3. Just give people reasons to come and it will be a success. Escalation leagues are great fun and encourage new armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it, Escalation league is on the list. Don't tell anyone but I was even thinking a Blood Bowl league (hey, we sell paint!), and yeah, customer service is the key.

      Delete
    2. A box of goblins, skaven, a rat ogre and a couple trolls and you have goblin, skaven and underworld teams. :)

      Delete
  4. Hoping your business prospers,sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your store!

    Having known some owners of small hobby stores, I have one piece of advice. Place the blister pack product so that you can see as much of it from the register as possible. Unfortunately there area few people who think they don't have to pay. One owner I know caught someone cutting the bottom of the blisters and taking product out and putting it in their pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, product loss, it's a sad fact that it just comes with the territory isn't it? Thanks for the tip, a lot of this will be familiar ground but some of it is completely new territory for me.

      Delete
  6. This is big news, Mik! When I saw the title I got excited because a GW store is opening near my home of Boise, Idaho. But I guess it isn't yours. Congradulatons, I am sure It will be great. Many have negative things to say about GW, but I don't think most of them are deserved. Good luck in your new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest! Nope, Knoxville not Boise! Be on the lookout though, there's a lot of one0man stores that will be opening up soon; it's phase three for my life, but phase three for the company as well.

      People do have a lot of negative things to say, it's because GW is such a big (and easy) target, but this is going to rock and with me at the helm I'm going to give it 110%, I mean come on, I'm running a game store! I'm the only employee! It's ALL MINIATURES!!!!

      :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats! May you have all the success you can handle : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been talking a lot to Ben Lee about the good old days of you two working in a store, I hope to recreate some of those shenanigans, haha!

      And apparently watch a lot of Predator, all the time!

      Delete
    2. Sure, bring up things that happened 21 years ago! Enthusiasm and humor are key : )

      Delete
  8. Best of luck with your new venture. Should be an exciting ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting indeed! And most of that is from stepping into a new venture that wasn't on the books when it came to the whole 'life plan' haha.

      Delete
  9. Good luck. I wish you the very best of it all. But keep your eye on GW here in the UK they do not have a good reputation for dealing with small business owners. So I am hoping it is different over the pond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. Here in my town we have two game stores; one is a huge store inside a mall on the other side of town. They're really out of the picture. The other one however is a Hobbytown within walking distance, they're not chumps though. I'm hoping to be a good neighbor and get both stores to prosper by growing the hobby overall.

      Delete
  10. Haha, this ninths funniest (and best) advice I've seen yet! And true!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck. Hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I hope it works out too, I've got a lot riding on this!

      Delete