Friday, May 15, 2009

Micro Reliant


Miranda class USS Reliant in Lego microscale


The top 'wing' thing was the hardest to pull off, but I think I did 'okay'. I couldn't leave it bare, since it's such a distinctive part of the ship, but also working at such a small scale made it tricky to pull off. Same with the nacelles.


Having just watched (and loved!) the new Trek movie, I plugged in the perennial favorite Wrath of Khan this weekend. First off, you need to watch it prior to going to see the new movie if you can, if not, at least watch it soon after! Secondly, Khan is such a good movie, not just as a Trek piece, but as a clever remake of Moby Dick to boot. I love the little yet effective Reliant Khan hijacks, so thought I'd Lego it up.






I feel I captured the spirit of the Reliant as best as I could. My goal was to keep it small and simple, and at just eighteen pieces, it's both. Like I said, the top section is a bit funky to pull off, but you kind of need it to capture the overall look.

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome!!! My boy has Legos... wonder if I can pull that off too. You should do a step by step instruction blog on putting that little thing together.

    Oh and I heeded your advice and cruised down to Wal-Mart to get a can of the 99 cent spray paint/primer. I was a bit apprehensive but after I applied it I sacrificed a thousand Grots in your honor! Thank you so much, you've saved me hundreds bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm glad heeded said tip. I feel a certain geek pride that I've shared a tip across the internet to a fellow gamer who benefited from it!

    ReplyDelete