Friday, November 13, 2009

Recently on the Sword...


The Sword

Just this week down in Austin, Texas, one of my favorite bands played at the Fun Fun Fun Fest. It's a bit of a drive from my neck of the woods, so I had to miss out. I had the pleasure of seeing these guys live last year, and although I knew of them going into the show, I walked out simply blown away and a true fan from that point on.

They play a heavy, driving rock; the type that is pure and born of the goodness of the early seventies, but they're no retro-proto doom metal band, these guys are making music in the here and now. They're music is wonderful on its own, but couple it with lyrics of Vikings, daemons, omens, and apocalyptic doom, and you've got a real treat.

I knew of the pending concert, but I've got to credit the folks at Ultra 8201 for all of the excellent pics below from the show, as well as the great video!


The Sword, Fun Fun Fun Fest-Austin, Texas 2009


J.D. Cronise on guitar and vocals (left), Bryan Richie on bass (right)


Kyle Shutt on lead guitar (not shown is Trivett Wingo on drums)


Thanks again go to Ultra 8201 for the original coverage!

2 comments:

  1. If you love the Sword, you probably already love Mastadon. But you might not've heard of Bison... they're a young, up-and-coming band from Vancouver, B.C. and worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Mastodon is right down my alley and thanks for the tip on Bison, you're right, I haven't heard of them before, but I'll be checking them out for sure!

    Have you heard of Graveyard? Another one of those up-and-coming band types from Sweden...

    http://www.myspace.com/graveyardsongs

    ReplyDelete