Thursday, May 6, 2010

15mm Wasteland Terrain - Complete


Finished terrain project using Dropship Horizon's method

These stands of wasteland terrain went up fast. We're talking start to finish with maybe a couple of hours worth of work, tops (not including drying time). I really couldn't be happier with how they turned out, I just wish the cars were oh-so-slightly smaller in scale.


After I primered the cars black I went in with a heavy overbrush of dark red to simulate rust. Next I took a diluted black wash and inked all of the cars over the rust red. Then while I was waiting for that to dry, I focused my efforts on the dirt and gravel.


The ground was already primered tan, so I hit it with a heavy overbrush of dark brown. I use a lot of craft paints, so I don't remember the color exactly, it might've been 'teddy bear brown' or whatever. It dries quick and by the time I finished piece number four, the first piece was ready for the next layer. I hit it again with heavy drybrush of a midtone brown, making sure to avoid the cars themselves, and focusing more on the thicker debris and gravel. Finally I drybrushed the third light color, 'teddy bear tan'. That was it, dirt was done.


For the cars, which all had a uniform rusty look, I wanted to interject some color a bit to give some variety. Now scouring wind and flame has more than likely stripped most of the paint, and the oppressive sun has done a number on what's left. Given that, I did some very light drybrushing to achieve this, sticking to just a few colors.


The undercarriages were even easier. I did a light drybrush of silver, followed with a brown ink wash to make it look rusty. That's it, this step took no time at all. Because the underbellies are so visible, you want to use cars that have a decent amount of detail.


Like I said, my only lament is that these cars are better suited for 20mm, not 15mm. But as you can see from this pic, they will still work great. Here's a couple of 15mm GZG figs hanging out by some scrap. I like the right hand car on this base particularly; it's got that stripped down, burned out look that one would normally associate with the wastelands.

9 comments:

  1. Very nicely done. I don't think the cars are all that out of scale. Especially with the newer 15mm figs being bigger than actual 15mm. Once they are on bases, the heigh scale issue is almost right out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was a very fun, very fast project to do up, and in the end, I'm very happy with how they turned out.

    I agree with you on the scale issue, you have to keep in mind that those two GZG figs are fairly old too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - quiet a lot of vehicles look OK when they're part of the static scenery. They certainly look better with 15mm figures than with 25/30mm which I have seen in the past!
    Great work! (Wish I could churn them out that fast!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff - they look really well with those GZG figures too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's just good fun. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them! I'm gona keep my eye out for more 28mm-ish vehicles the next time I'm in some pound shops and charity shops, perhaps do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. I don't think the scale is bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool terrain, I would love to do the same thing with Chimeras, but then I consider the cost...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well done Mik! Like the finish though I preferred your basic paint jobs when you put on the black and tan coats as it looked more within the 'glass zone' of a major apocalypse.

    Great stuff.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete