Saturday, March 16, 2013

Super Saxon and the Mad Baron

Hello again, Chris here with an update on my Dux Brit progress, and a couple of other odds and ends.

I'm afraid my progress on my Dux forces is a bit lacking.  I have only managed to finish 4 additional figures, all Saxon warriors.


I don't think they turned out to badly, though the one on the right is a bit odd.  After going ahead with a red and blue paint scheme for him, with yellow edging on the tunic, I realized he reminded of Superman's costume.  It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Super Saxon!

Though I didn't make any more progress in painting, I have got the whole lot of Saxons and Britons cleaned up and based, so I'll be pressing on again soon.

In a diversion from this project, I pulled out some of my "Back of Beyond" figures from Copplestone Casting.  I've been reading a bit about this era recently, including the Bloody White Baron by James Palmer.  I was thus inspired to paint up the Mad Baron figure from Copplestone (well, at least the mounted version).


As with all the Copplestone figures I've worked on, he was fun to paint, with loads of character.  Might have to add a few Mongol horsemen to ride alongside him.

I always wanted to mention a new rules book I recently purchased,  Pulp Alley.


I have not had a chance to play it yet, but I like what I have read so far.  Looks to give an entertaining game of pulp adventure, with a small teams of 5 to 10 figures to a side.  I first heard about it over on the Lead Adventure Forum , where you can read some excellent after action reports on the game.

Well, that's all for now.  Thank you again for your kind attention, and until next time, carry on gaming!

6 comments:

  1. Your Duc collection continues to impress. Very nice!

    I bought the Pulp Alley PDF (after reading about Eli's exploits) and was very pleased. I ordered the hardcopy+cards (+autographed) set but am still waiting for it to wing it's way to Australia. Excellent rules, excellent production values, and nice people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I'm looking foward to trying out Pulp Alley. I have a set of Pulp Figures "She Wolves of the SS" that will finally see action.

      Delete
  2. Looking great! The Super Saxon isn't as obvious as you make it sound, but once you get the man of steel image in your head it's hard to let go! Looking forward to more Pulp Alley goodness too, as SJ has said, Eli has been raving about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have a few pulp figures on the painting desk, hope to be able to share them soon.

      Delete
  3. Pulp Alley is a riot and because the game is so new it still has a lot of room to grow.

    Make sure to join the forum and sign up for the playtester group. Dave and Mila release a ton of fun new rules for upcoming supplements and really appreciate folks tinkering around with them.

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll have to look into the playtest group. I am really looking forward to the Perilous Island release, with the rules for "Terrors".

      Delete