Friday, January 10, 2014

Friday Rucht Hour: That is Not Dead, Which Can Eternal Lie….

The end is near. I hear a noise at the door, as of some immense slippery body lumbering against it. It shall not find me. God, that hand! The window! The window!

- H.P. Lovecraft, Dagon 

You saw my preview of this model earlier. Well, it's finally done! When last you saw it, Cthulhu was mostly done except for his wings and his base. Now, the whole model is complete. It was tremendously fun to work on. I especially had fun working on the veins in Cthulhu's wings. Those were a nice touch. The Reaper Bones mins, at least the large ones, continue to be fun to work on. 




Here's the base that I've put him on, from Secret Weapons Miniatures. Interestingly, the only problem I had was figuring out where to put his feet! The whole base was just so cool, it felt bad to cover up any part of it. The whole thing was easy to paint. Just some dry brushing to get the details out. Dry brushing white onto the maggots was done so that they would appear distinct. Of course, the rune stone that Cthulhu is stepping off of was original with the model. Just had to saw it off of his original base. 




One more note - primer! It was advertised that you didn't need to primer your Reaper Bones minis…. I have now found that not to be exactly the case. The Bones plastic is flexible. So when it bends, paint which has dried will flake right off. The dry paint simply doesn't flex. 

You can see the result of this below. I'm going to definitely have to coat it to hopefully affix the paint to the plastic. The paint hasn't been flaking off of the rest of the mini, so I think you're only in danger on the flex-y parts. Anyhow, be warned! Primer your Reaper Bones unless you're in a hurry! 



6 comments:

  1. Nice. I'm still working on mine. I keep trying to figure out what to do with the base as I mounted it on a big piece of wood for use in D&D/Pathfinder and keep thinking "water" but that sounds like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Secret Weapons resin bases have been a treat from me to use. But putting a water effect on a piece of wood shouldn't be that hard, either.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work and I have to say that the pose of the mini looks better than I thought it would from the concept art. I had the impression that it was more like it was drawing back instead of moving forward. Definitely one that I'm going to have to consider adding to my collection! Also appreciate the heads up on the no primer issue. I have only painted one of my figs and it hasn't made it to the table so I haven't experienced the flaky paint issue yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beast! Love the figure, even though it pushes the boundaries of the word "miniature". I once investigated to idea of painting soft plastic 1/72 scale figures. The paint flakes off these in the same way. A tip I read (but have not tried) is undercoating the mini in PVA before painting. Apparently the PVA has a little flex that prevents cracking/flaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had posted a comment on this but it got dropped apparently. Fantastic work here Rucht! Your painting skills have exploded over the years since we first met, this is one of your finest pieces to date for sure. Good call on the Secret Weapon base too, Justin has all kinds of great things in his shop. It's a bummer about the flexible, painted areas but live and learn I guess. Kudos on a great model, I feel very good about getting rid of it now that it's gone to a good home.

    ReplyDelete