Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tiny Totoro


After I was putting my the mini-diorama I made for my wife on Halloween in its little gift bag I got a pang of guilt I didn't have anything to give to my daughter, so at the last minute I whipped up this even smaller mini-diorama, this time a Totoro.


Hayao Miyazaki is one of my favorite filmmakers, and if you don't know his work, check him out, his films are simply great. The above character is from one of his named Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro), and there's three such title creatures in the film; small, medium, and large. At a great toy store up in New York City, whose name escapes me, I found these little Totoro toys, I bought all they had. The above guy and light post came with a larger Cat-Bus figurine. I did not paint the figs (I considered it, but didn't have the time), but I did paint up and flock their base after super-gluing them onto it. VoilĂ !


A trio of Totoro types...

5 comments:

  1. I love it! Are your Tau going to recruit the Totoro xenos into the Empire?

    (Sorry about the deleted post, forgot to hit follow-up comments check box and there's no edit function.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute little diorama. I like it.

    I love Miyazaki's work. I'm still trying to track down a copy of his Dream Ntebook.

    I have always thought a world built around some of his style and themes would make a great gaming world.

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rabidchild: Yeah, they're recruiting the Totoro xenos, as well as those little animated soot balls!

    @Eli: Yeah, I would love to do a whole campaign based on his Valley of the Wind setting, or a super-fun pulp game set in the Castle in the Sky world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. was this store kinokuniya, the japanese book store? My girlfriend and I got a sootball and baby white totoro from there as well =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kean: Nope, not a bookstore, I think it was named something with "toys" in the title. I remember it was on the second floor of the building and it had a *ton* of cool stuff.

    I'm jealous about your sootball!

    ReplyDelete