Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday Rucht Hour: Convergence of Cyriss Unboxing

So, the big news for Warmachine this year was the Convergence of Cyriss. They are a new faction in the game and they are pretty awesome. What I like the most about them is that the Cyriss faction isn't some B.S. dreamed up by the Privateer Press to make money. They were in the Iron Kingdoms from the very beginning. They spring from the original Witchfire Trilogy which spawned the setting in the first place.

Here, I've unboxed their starter set. Unfortunately, however, I cannot give it top marks. Let's start with the good. Here's what you get for your fifty bucks.


Quite a bit! You get the parts and pieces for four complex and interesting minis - the Warcaster, two light vectors and a heavy vector. (Vectors are warjacks, guys. Let's not kid ourselves.) You also get their quick start rules, which contain the base cards for all of the major factions. So, if you want, you can play starter games with all of the major factions.


You also get a miniature copy of their No Quarter magazine. I thought that was a pretty brilliant piece of marketing. No Quarter is a great mag and getting a mini copy in your box is a nice touch. 



Now, let's get into the bad. Pieces and plastic. First of all, the plastic pieces of the figures are loaded with flashing. It's going to take me a long time to get them ready to glue together. Another problem? Tiny, little pieces. You can see this entire bag, here - that's chock-full of little pieces. Below, you can see an example of some of the "larger" pieces. Overall, it doesn't look like a picnic to me. I can certainly conquer this, but it's definitely not noob friendly. And one of our friends was hoping that this boxed set would be his gateway into the hobby. 


Overall, I would say that the box is worth it. I don't have buyer's remorse or anything like that. The minis look amazing, so I'm excited to see how they turn out. But the box isn't noob friendly by any means and may annoy some people with so many pieces and the copious flashing. Only three stars out of five, for me. An "expert level" set is how I would classify this box, due to the amount of work you'll have cut out for you when you get it. 



2 comments: