Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mik vs. The Penguin


So I showed up, admittedly a bit nervous, for the second week of my USTA league. Last doubles match against Gene Hackman was less than kind so I was hoping to do a little better this time around. I asked the captain who my partner was on this fine, sunny day. After a page flip or two on the ole trusty team clipboard I got a, "Oh yeah, you're playing singles today."

Okay, I'm a real go-with-the-flow kind of guy, but I've never played singles in my life. I've only been 'playing' for a little less than a year and that has mostly been clinics and practice. This week's opponent I've dubbed the Penguin, but really he was a nice guy. He was shorter than me (which is saying quite a bit, I'm no basketball player!) and a good deal older than me (and I'm no spring chicken!). I didn't win this week either, without further adieu the final score was 6-2, 6-0.

Yeah, I got beat soundly, but technically I won more games this week than previous, plus I did manage to take two games off of a much more experienced opponent. For those readers who actually stuck around this far, thanks. I debated posting anything at all, but this can of worms has already been opened.

Since my posts have been far and few between, there's not much of a gaming update on my end here. We're still acclimating to our newborn, who is doing great, but the painting desk downstairs is collecting dust. I hope to get some gaming in this weekend however.

5 comments:

  1. I will call you Mik McEnroe from now one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd prefer to win at least one match before I receive any nicknames!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Win a match? Lets start small how about a set, but I cannot even win table tennis on my in laws wii and I normally school them in games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't played in about 10 years but I used to love playing. You will get better with time and before you know it you will have your first win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair enough Brad, I'll settle for a set! BJ, thanks for the pep talk. My number one reason is exercise of course, but being competitive and all I would like to rack up some wins to boot.

    ReplyDelete