Sunday, October 7, 2012

Warming up the Brushes




In an effort to paint more and button-mash less I painted up these excellent Critical Mass mercenaries you see here.  A couple of months back I posted the Combined Army Infinity figs I whipped up, but those don't really count.  I kind of blacked out at the painting desk and when I came to they were already done.

These guys were different.  In an effort to both paint more and kind of revive the cold husk that was my starport project I dove right in.  Lots of ideas started cooking as soon as I got some paint on them, which is what I was hoping for!

This batch is the first half of a well equipped pirate crew that will be squared away solidly in the universe I've yet to build.  They'll have their own ship and everything.  Next up will be the rest of this crew.  After that I've got some great figs lined up sculpted by my buddy Eli over at I See Lead People.  Then I guess it's time to get into that massive starport queue I typed up so long ago!

Thanks for checking these out, they were a blast to paint up.  I should also point out that the Instagram feed was blowing up with WIP pics of these over the last week or so.  I'll try to get a post up with more details photos and angles, plus some fluff material to boot soon.  Until then, enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Hooray for starport guys!

    I've got a copy of Blasters and Bulkheads. Knowing you like Super System, you might consider it as rules for your starport shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will check out B&B, I do love me some "Chaos in..." rules. You'll be involved as well I'm venturing, so we'll get some good stuff going.

      Delete
  2. What exactly is starport? I looked on your previous posts a little but im not quite sure what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically it's a centralized theme to wrap around all your projects; terrain building, RPG games, skirmish battles, massed battles, painting, etc.

      Delete
  3. These look great. Nice looking crew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie! I took the approach that I was assembling and collecting action figures if that makes sense.

      Delete
  4. Nice work, Mik. I've just finished painting Captain Bytt, myself, and have a bunch of Eli's starport civilians and heavies to paint soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was Eli's space civvies that kind of got the ball rolling on all of this. Five more Critical Mass crew then it's x10 of his civvies.

      Delete
  5. Great work on these Mik! I'm now bouncing back to thinking about tiny scale games instead of military battles again... Like a grudd darned rubber ricochet round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wise person once suggested that I paint only five 15mm figs at a time. Seems to be the trick!

      I would find a fun balance between the two; military and small-scale.

      Delete
  6. Super nice! Kudos on the pink-headed creature's vestment detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, just washes, then dry brushing, then more washes, a bit of highlighting. Probably too many steps for my style and a fig so small!

      Delete
  7. Excellent execution- your colour schemes and blending are spot on!

    ReplyDelete